In 1910 department store Wright’s opened its new outlet situated on the corner of Linthorpe Road and Grange Road.
The building became synonymous with the store’s name as Wright’s Tower House.
In 1956 the shop went through a major refurbishment especially of is display windows at street level.
Inside the building, walls were knocked down creating larger open spaced rooms giving a lighter airy shopping environment – considered revolutionary retailing at the time.
But after a decline in trade the store closed with the loss of 55 jobs in 1986.
In April 1987 demolition began on the old building after standing for nearly 80 years it made way for a McDonald’s restaurant.