Eldon Square was built as part of the 1825–40 reconstruction of Newcastle city centre.
In 1824 John Dobson was commissioned by Richard Grainger to produce designs for Eldon Square. The design was for three terraces facing a central square, each terrace being of two and a half storeys. The east and west terraces consisted of 27 bays of windows, whilst the north terrace had 39 bays. The first floors had continuous cast-iron balconies with Grecian honeysuckle decoration. Beyond this and the giant Doric pilasters at the end of each terrace there was no other decoration. The terraces were faced with finely cut ashlar.
In the 1960s the west and north terraces around the square were demolished to be replaced by part of Eldon Square Shopping Centre which now dominates Old Eldon Square.
NZ 2464 NE and NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ELDON SQUARE NZ 2464 SE (east side) 16/223 and 20/223 Nos. 1-4 consecutive and Nos. 6 and 7. 14.6.54 G.V. II* Includes Nos. 44b and 44c Blackett Street (q.v.). Houses, now offices and shops. 1825-31; by Thomas Oliver and John Dobson for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Basement, 3 storeys and some later attics; 33 bays in all, with slightly-projecting 5-bay end pavilions defined by giant pilasters. Houses vary from 3 to 5 bays. 8-panelled doors and overlights (with glazing bars to No.4). Plain reveals to these and to sash windows, mostly with glazing bars; aprons to ground floor windows. First floor sill string in outer bays; second floor entablature and cornice; top plainer cornice. Later mansard roof with 5 dormers to No.6; 2 inserted pedimented dormers to No.1.Ashlar ridge chimneys. Right return in similar style has C20 shops inserted in ground floor, giant corner pilaster at right; glazing bars to sash windows on upper floors. Source: T. Oliver New Picture of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle 1831, 97.
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BLACKETT STREET (north side)
20/223 Nos 44b and 44c
The right return of Nos. 1 – 7 Eldon Square (q.v.).
Listing NGR: NZ2478764493