Thousands of youngsters earned their water wings at the Victorian building in the town centre before the baths closed its doors in the late 1980s.
Gilkes Street, which opened in 1933, stood on land that is now part of the Captain Cook Square shopping area in the town centre.
The baths included Turkish and Russian baths as well as slipper baths, a shampooing room and a cooling room.
The building was demolished in 1998.
© Trinity Mirror North East