Despite being a distinctive hospital building and a key part of Middlesbrough’s heritage, North Riding Infirmary ultimately made way for a supermarket.
The infirmary opened in 1859 and provided treatment for Teessiders over the decades initially treating the injuries of industrial workers and later as an ear, nose and throat hospital.
Despite a campaign by The Gazette to save the building, it was demolished in 2006.
Only the portico was saved and rebuilt on the site off Hartington Road after the infirmary was demolished to make way for an Aldi and a Travelodge hotel.
© Trinity Mirror North East