St Katherine Coleman was a parish church in the City of London, situated in St. Katherine’s Row, on the south side of Fenchurch Street, in Aldgate Ward. Of medieval origin, it narrowly escaped destruction in the Great Fire of London in 1666, but was rebuilt in the eighteenth century. The church closed in November 1926 and was demolished soon afterwards.
The parish was designated for amalgamation under the Union of Benefices Act 1860 but the church remained in use until 1926. The final service was held on 20 November, a joyous occasion (as reported in the City Press) after which it was quickly demolished. The gate piers and railings of the churchyard, which probably date from the 18th century survive, and the site of the churchyard itself is now a public garden, owned by Lloyd’s Register of shipping. It was re-landscaped in 1996-2000. After the clearance of the graveyard, the burials were re-inhumed at City of London Cemetery.
Money raised by the sale of the site was used to erect a new church in Hammersmith, initially called St Catherine Coleman, but now known as St Katherine Westway. The marble font from the City church is now at St Peter’s, Grange Park, Enfield.