The demolition of the Royal Exchange must surely rank as one of the greatest acts of vandalism in Middlesbrough’s history.
It’s another example of the Victorian heritage that has been undervalued and consequently neglected and destroyed.
It was built in 1868 and replaced the earlier Custom House where the trading of iron was conducted.
Ironically, the older Customs House situated in St Hilda’s has survived to the present day.
The A66 flyover now passes right through the site where this characterful Victorian building stood until 1985 – although in its latter days it was a dilapidated eyesore and a pale shadow of its former self.
© Trinity Mirror North East